:: Re: [DNG] Upgrade from buster to be…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Upgrade from buster to beowulf, runlevels are goofed
On Sunday 21 March 2021 at 10:57:46, Erich Minderlein via Dng wrote:

> In the times of SuSE 7.0 to 7.3 I used runlevels to control a server with
> attached thin clients. The users on the system got a wall message and had
> to save their work. After a few minutes the runlevel was reduced from 5 to
> 3.

That's a long time ago.

> Now I find that the runlevels are identical from 2 to 5 as opposed to the
> old times, when they were substantially differentiated. (root only, +local
> multi-user, +network, +Xserver) Is this a heritage of the debian
> distribution crippled by the poeystemd?

No, Debian has had identical runlevels 2-5 for many releases, nothing to do
with systemd.

> Can I obtain a devuan different more clever system with update-rc.d ?

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for - I've never tried Debian Buster,
but Devuan Beowulf works fine for me, and I happened yesterday to have to
install a sysvinit startup file (for zoneminder, which no longer comes with one
by default), which got installed using update-rc.d without any problem.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel#Linux_Standard_Base_specification
> devuan (beowulf standard installation with some cruft maybe) as I have it
> on my notebooks does not conform to the LSB.

Devuan is based on Debian, and that project dropped LSB support in 2015:
https://wiki.debian.org/LSB

You can have LSB, or you can have Debian/Devuan, but it's not easy to have
both.

Antony.

--
Wanted: telepath. You know where to apply.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.