:: [DNG] Upgrade from buster to beowul…
Author: Erich Minderlein
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Upgrade from buster to beowulf, runlevels are goofed
Hi

Now I upgraded my other notebook from buster to beowulf.
No more debian systems chez moi.
I followed the advice from the website.
However, the upgrades of the notebooks were not smooth.

On the 2nd NB when I started the system after the dist-upgrade,
it went straight into the Xserver.
Only the xserver keyboard driver was lost in the process of upgrading.
Only the power button on the NB could save, no, delete the situation.
After changing /etc/rc2.d/S04lightdm to /etc/rc2.d/_S04lightdm
I could safely boot and do the missing work.

In the times of SuSE 7.0 to 7.3 I used runlevels to control a server with attached thin clients.
The users on the system got a wall message and had to save their work.
After a few minutes the runlevel was reduced from 5 to 3.
This stopped the x client on the server, while maintaining the network connection.
A backup was made, and when finished,
the runlevel was increased to 5 and the thin clients (with a blank screen) obtained their login screen automagically again.
It was extremely simple to accomplish.

Since the times of SuSE7.3, after with I switched to debian in 2003,
I did not observe the sysvinit/runlevels, there was no need to,
until I obtained the systemd message: A service required was not available at start.

Now I find that the runlevels are identical from 2 to 5 as opposed to the old times,
when they were substantially differentiated. (root only, +local multi-user, +network, +Xserver)
Is this a heritage of the debian distribution crippled by the poeystemd?

Can I obtain a devuan different more clever system with update-rc.d ?

https://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173006

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel#Beispiel_Linux
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel#Linux_Standard_Base_specification
devuan (beowulf standard installation with some cruft maybe) as I have it on my notebooks
does not conform to the LSB.

Before filing a bug, I ask for the opinion here in the forum.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen
with the beste regards

cordialement