:: [DNG] Motel wifi: was web conferenc…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Motel wifi: was web conferencing software
Rick Moen said:

>The above is a vexing problem for travelers w/laptops who prefer to
>specify their own choice of nameserver and still use hotel/motel WiFi
>(and wired ethernet, actually). Best case, you have to disable your
>nameserver IP override long enough to navigate the captive portal, and
>then can put the override back. But, no, you cannot just leave your
>choice of nameserver IPs in place (without disappointment).

This is good information. I've sometimes wondered why I couldn't log in
at the library or Macdonalds. I imagine it would be trivial to make a
shellscript to alternate between immutable dns at my current ip
address's unbound server, and the resolv.conf given me by the hotel. I
never before knew the mechanism by which hotels and libraries and
McDonalds pushed that login screen on me when I tried to go to
Troubleshooters.Com.

By the way, for a travelling notebook, I wouldn't be all that offended
with a mutable resolv.conf.

SteveT

Steve Litt