:: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer document…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer documentation is now in its first draft

>Le 02/03/2021 à 12:48, Steve Litt a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As you know, I was asking many Qemu LAN-peer questions on this list a
>> week ago. My documentation on the subject has finally achieved
>> first-draft status. If you'd like to see it, go to:
>>
>> http://troubleshooters.com/linux/qemu/nobs.htm
>>
>    Thanks Steve for this document. I have a question though and a
>remark that tomething is missing in your block diagram. From the
>response to the command "[slitt@mydesk qemu]$ ip -4 addr", it is
>visible that enp40s0, the physical Ethernet adapter has no address.
>This means that the host's network configuration must be modified to
>operate through br0 instead of enp40s0. I mean /both/ guest and host
>use the bridge. Do I understand correctly?
>
>--     Didier

Hi Didier,

The vast majority of documents I've read tell me that once you make the
bridge, the hardware NIC must be robbed of its IP addresses. So that's
what I did.

By the time I finally got a LAN-peer setup working, after about a year
on and off of trying, and 2.5 weeks of full-on work to create the
LAN-peer configuration, I was so happy just to have something work
that I didn't go back and do the obvious experiment of adding the
addresses to enp40s0 and seeing what difference that makes. My itch was
scratched :-)

Right now my long term TODO list includes writing two books and
creating a playlist creation system, so it will be several months
before I have time to run the experiment. If you remind me in
September, I just might run the experiment then.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
Spring 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive