:: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer document…
Author: al3xu5 / dotcommon
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer documentation is now in its first draft
Fri, 5 Mar 2021 18:56:25 +0000 - Simon Hobson <linux@???>:

> Florian Zieboll via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > For the sake of completeness and y'all's convenience, here a link to
> > the related info in the Debianwiki:
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames

[quote]
* UNPREDICTABILITY
    it turns out even after all this there are still reported cases of
    interfaces changing their name on a reboot. All that needs to happen
    is that some buggy BIOS (or some new, less buggy version of a driver
    module, or systemd's naming policy) changes its mind about some detail
    like whether or not your hardware counts as the kind that should have
    an ONBOARD name. There are even reports of devices changing their
    PCI-port numbering due to other hardware being installed.
[\quote]

> Did anyone else read that and think it could be summarised along the
> lines of : "We thought X was badly broken, so we developed Y which will
> require you to reconfigure lots of stuff - but even we have to admit
> that Y is actually more broken and here's the complicated ways to get
> sane behaviour"

"... and if even so it remains broken, even then it's not our fault: or
it is a non-compliant device (with us), or it's a hardware problem."

al3xu5

--
Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and industrial design
restrictions!

Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B