:: [DNG] EFI Installation of Beowulf?
Author: Jonathan Moebius
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] EFI Installation of Beowulf?
Dear all,

I have switched to a new computer and tried to install Beowulf 3.1.0 in a
pure-EFI setting.
I have tried installing on a SATA SSD as well as a a m.2 PCIe SSD. Originally,
the plan was a dual boot install with Win10 being installed first, however
after several failed attempts, I scraped Win10 and went for a Linux-only
install.
Installation seems to run smoothly but after reboot grub presents itself
without the "graphical" selection menu but instead delivers the line
"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported..."

After 5 hours of installing and re-installing I tried installing Debian Buster
10.8 (I understand, Beowulf 3.1.0 is based on 10.8). With debian the
installation works out of the box.

I have found following hints regarding this:

EFI Partition may be missing or too small
I tried both with guided partitioning and manual partitioning, I created EFI
partitions up to 1 gb without success.

Grub may have to be re-installed.
I tried to chroot into the installation and did a grub-install (after mounting
the efi-partition). This did not solve the issue

Grub.cfg may be missing
I compared the grub.cfg from Debian and Devuan. Superficially they look very
similar.

Do you have any hints what else to try? Can you spare me going back to debian?

Kind regards,
Jonathan