:: Re: [DNG] Fwd: Distribution upgrade…
Author: Hector Gonzalez Jaime
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Fwd: Distribution upgrade issue
On 2/22/21 1:59 PM, Curtis Maurand via Dng wrote:

> On 2/22/21 4:26 AM, Pontus Goffe via Dng wrote:
>>
>> Putting this back on list.
>>
>> I still think you are doing it wrong, after changing your
>> sources.list(s) you should, at least
>> apt-get update
>> apt-get upgrade
>> apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
> Ah. you have an extra step.  The following is from the website doc.
>
> Update the package lists from the Beowulf repository.
>
> |root@devuan:~# apt-get update|
>
> Devuan Jessie users should now upgrade the Devuan repository keyring,
> and update the package lists again so packages can be authenticated.
>
> |root@devuan:~# apt-get install devuan-keyring|
> |root@devuan:~# apt-get update|
>
> If xscreensaver is running you should kill it now as it needs to be
> stopped before it can be upgraded.
>
> |root@devuan:~# killall xscreensaver|
>
> Now you can perform the upgrade.
>
> |root@devuan:~# apt-get dist-upgrade|

I've seen your original problem frequently, mysql and mariadb both are
turned off during upgrades, and then apt-get goes on to install other
packages, which might require a database to be running and have no
control over this.  A workaround is, whenever you have mysql (or
mariadb) present, update it first and alone, like this:

apt-get update
apt-get install default-mysql-server      # this command depends on your
version, just reinstall mysql's server first.
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

This way mysql gets updated first, and will be running for the rest of
your system.

Hector Gonzalez
cacho@???