:: Re: [DNG] Synaptics Touchpad Fn+F9
Author: Florian Zieboll
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Synaptics Touchpad Fn+F9
Am 7. Februar 2021 14:45:22 MEZ schrieb Steve Litt
<slitt@???>:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 22:40:36 +0100
> Florian Zieboll via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > Supposing that "somewhere in xorg" means "under '/etc/X11/' or
> > under '/usr/share/X11/'", a configuration change definitely would
> > not endure booting into another OS; under '/proc/' it wouldn't even
> > survive a reboot (would it even persist over a runlevel change
> > there?!).
>
> Hi Florian,
>
> I meant stored in memory by xorg. I have no knowledge one way or
> another about boot-to-boot persistence of touchpad settings. My main
> point was a practical one: Whatever your touchpad's settings are, you
> can toggle it on and off with my script.
>

> > The only possibility (which is accessible from within Linux and does
> > not require a "stateful" touchpad) coming to my mind to make such a
> > configuration persistent over a reboot AND across different OSes,
> > might be under '/sys/firmware/efi/' - which would presume a UEFI
> > system.
> >
> > I am seriously curious about more opinions on this!
>
> I can tell.
>
> Like I said, I have no knowledge about boot-to-boot persistence, but
> if I were just taking wild guesses, I'd guess that the touchpad
> itself has some non-volatile RAM to store its settings, and the OS,
> when it boots, reads those settings.
>
> Keep in mind I've never noticed boot-to-boot persistence. In fact, if
> I remember correctly, my laptops have always booted up to a fully
> functional touchpad, which I had to suppress most of the time with my
> shellscript.
>
> > libre Grüße,
>
> And don't bring me down Bruce!
>
> If you don't get the reference, that's OK, you need to be over 60 to
> get it.
>
> SteveT

Hallo Steve,

thanks for your reply! As I am not yet even near 60 years old, I don't
get the reference. But I am old enough to sense, that I probably won't
get much deeper into C programming anymore, than wrapping shell commands
into the 'system()' function to make them setuid'able. Thus, I will
leave the 'xinput' sources where they are and rather use some spare
time to see if I can can get any useful information out of 'gdb'. If I
succeed, I promise to report to the list - although I don't own a
device with touchpad (which most likely would be the second thing to
permanently disable immediately - right after the system sounds, if my
OS had those preconfigured).

Libre Grüße and best regards,
Florian

--