:: Re: [DNG] Synaptics Touchpad Fn+F9
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Synaptics Touchpad Fn+F9
On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 22:40:36 +0100
Florian Zieboll via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Supposing that "somewhere in xorg" means "under '/etc/X11/' or under
> '/usr/share/X11/'", a configuration change definitely would not
> endure booting into another OS; under '/proc/' it wouldn't even
> survive a reboot (would it even persist over a runlevel change
> there?!).

Hi Florian,

I meant stored in memory by xorg. I have no knowledge one way or
another about boot-to-boot persistence of touchpad settings. My main
point was a practical one: Whatever your touchpad's settings are, you
can toggle it on and off with my script.

> The only possibility (which is accessible from within Linux and does
> not require a "stateful" touchpad) coming to my mind to make such a
> configuration persistent over a reboot AND across different OSes,
> might be under '/sys/firmware/efi/' - which would presume a UEFI
> system.
>
> I am seriously curious about more opinions on this!

I can tell.

Like I said, I have no knowledge about boot-to-boot persistence, but if
I were just taking wild guesses, I'd guess that the touchpad itself has
some non-volatile RAM to store its settings, and the OS, when it boots,
reads those settings.

Keep in mind I've never noticed boot-to-boot persistence. In fact, if I
remember correctly, my laptops have always booted up to a fully
functional touchpad, which I had to suppress most of the time with my
shellscript.

> libre Grüße,

And don't bring me down Bruce!

If you don't get the reference, that's OK, you need to be over 60 to
get it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive