:: Re: [DNG] How to adjust mouse chara…
Author: Florian Zieboll
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] How to adjust mouse characteristics?
Am 5. Februar 2021 04:35:25 MEZ schrieb Steve Litt <slitt@???>:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 17:28:41 -0700
> Fred <fred@???> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Devuan Beowulf AMD64
> >
> > Is there a configuration file somewhere that allows adjustment of
> > mouse resolution and acceleration? Gpm is not installed by default
> > and I haven't been able to find anything (USB) mouse related.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Fred
>
> Hi Fred,
>
> Ever since dinosaurs roamed the earth (late 1990's), Linux has had a
> problem with mouse pointers requiring too much mouse travel to
> accomplish too little mouse pointer travel. Early attempts were made
> with acceleration, turning mousing into a golf game, with a drive, a
> green shot, and then a couple putts. Later they had a "resolution"
> property, but that vanished some time around the end of the housing
> bubble.
>
> What I've found is best is:
>
> 1) Use a good quality, high resolution mouse.
>
> 2) Use it on a high quality, clean mousepad.
>
> 3) Keep the led/light detector clean
>
> I've found that "Blue Trace" mice work best with Linux. They reliably
> report new positions every quarter of a human hair diameter (well, I
> never measured it, but that's how it seemed). Best I ever saw was the
> following:
>
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-Bluetrace-Weighted-Mouse/44459955
>
> Unfortunately, I think it stopped being manufactured.
>
> Targus makes a blue trace mouse:
>
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-Wireless-BlueTrace-Mouse-AMW50US/14262061
>
> But annoyingly the Targus mouse shuts itself off after a few minutes of
> inactivity, so you have to physically click on and off on the little
> fingernail switch on the bottom to use it if you spent that last 10
> minutes reading a page instead of mousing. It's disconcerting. But when
> you mouse, it works well, and I've found you don't need any further
> sensitivity enhancement.
>
> SteveT

Using the libinput drivers, my trackball is easily (and fine grained) configurable in the xorg.conf under /etc/X11/ or /usr/share/X11/.

As long as the specifications for pointer devices are met, I doubt that make and model of the device have serious impact on its configurability - but I must confess that I have been happily sticking with this marble thing for many years now.

As already mentioned by Ken in another reply, the arch wiki (once again) is an outstanding resource regarding this topic.

Of course the performance can be improved by keeping things somewhat clean: No more "emergency cigarettes" from turning the keyboard upside down ;-)

libre Grüße,
Florian

--

[message sent otg]