:: [DNG] AppArmor and TorBrowser
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
CC: haines#histomat.net
Subject: [DNG] AppArmor and TorBrowser
At some point my TorBrowser wouldn't start. When I try it
displays error windows:

Tor unexpectedly exited. This might be due to a bug in Tor itself,
another program in your system, or faulty hardware. ...

Tor exited during startup. This might be due to a bug in your torrc
file or another program on your system, for faulty hardware. ...

I look at the torrc file and it looks like nothing but a set of
harmless links.

My messages log tells me that AppArmor status for torBrowser is
apparmor="DENIED". "denied_mask="r""

So I do # apparmor-status and find six processes are in enforce mode,
including:

  /home/haines/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/ \
      tor-browser_en-US/Browser/firefox.real
      (8708) torbrowser_firefox

I do

  $ ps aux | grep  8708
  haines    8708  0.1  0.9 2517308 156740 pts/11 Sl   07:53   0:03
  ./firefox.real --class Tor Browser -profile
  TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default

Killing process does not get me torBrowser back.

I gather I could edit the profile in /etc/apparmor.d directly. There
are two profiles there torbrowser.Tor.tor and
torbrowser.Browser.firefox. I didn't know which to edit, and there was
nothing obvious I should do to edit in them.

Instead I simply removed and reinstalled the two profiles with:

# apparmor_parser -R /etc/apparmor.d/<profile>
# apparmor_parser -a /etc/apparmor.d/<profile>

That did not help, so I simply removed them. Then I'm supposed to
inform the kern of this with:

  # echo -n “torbrowser.Browser.firefox” >
      /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/.remove

Byt get:

-bash: echo: write error: No such file or directory

This is becasue my /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/ directory holds no
.remove file.

I still can't start torbrowser.

I don't want to breask things by going any further such as creating a
.remove file and adding the two lines to it:

torbrowser.Browser.firefox
torBrowser.Tor.tor

--
Haines Brown