:: Re: [DNG] Version control /etc (was…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Dimitris T.
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Version control /etc (was Re: Ethernet names revisited)
Hi Dimitris,

Dimitris T. via Dng writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:
>>
>> Have a look at etckeeper.
>
> was using it for years, but not anymore..
> too much disk i/o, too many files, `git gc` never ran (only by hand),
> and it never really came handy during those years...
>
> maybe storing etckeeper repo it in a different backup disk makes more
> sense, but anyway..., backups, backups, backups. :)

Backups really serve another use case. I'm primarily using etckeeper to
find out what may have caused something from behaving the way it did in
the face of (ir)regular (unattended) upgrades. Even went so far as to
allow empty commits because stuff under /var/log/apt/ is rotated away
into oblivion, eventually.

I also occasionally use it to find out when I upgraded to a particular
version of a package.

I haven't experienced any issues with disk IO or too many files. Most
server machines run unattended-upgrades nightly and my laptops are only
upgraded (manually) every one or two weeks.

If running `sudo etckeeper vcs gc` by hand is too much trouble ;-), tag
it on to the list of DPkg::Post-Invoke commands or stick it into a cron
job.

Hope this helps,