:: Re: [DNG] Version control /etc (was…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Version control /etc (was Re: Ethernet names revisited)
Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng - 13.12.20, 03:48:23 CET:
> Hi Hendrik,
>
> Hendrik Boom writes:
> > I wish everything user-configurable under /etc was under revision
> > control. then we might even be able to have a vendor branch and a
> > local branch.
> Have a look at etckeeper.
>
> I've been using that for several years now on a variety of machines.
> The log for the machine I'm writing this on goes back all the way to
> its initial install on 2017-01-11 of Devuan's Jessie Official Beta2
> :-)
>
> You may want to keep your sensitive /etc/ files out of the repository
> though, depending on your level of paranoia.

I still do not use etckeeper, cause I prefer to just add the files to the
repository that I actually change. This way, whenever I like to
replicate the config onto another machine or even just look at what I
changed, I can just clone the repository and have exactly a tree of
those files that I adapted. Of course, Ansible would be also an
alternative. I am just not completely sure whether it makes sense with
just a few machines. I may start to use it with hosted virtual machines
as it eases moving to a different provider if need be.

I do not care about all the automatic changes by package upgrades.

The history on this laptop dates back till May 2011. And I have older
machines where I used it. It may be that for this laptop I just cloned
the bzr branch of the older laptop, then did a diff to see which files to
adapt and continued with the bzr branch of the older laptop. I still
love to use brz – cause I prefer it usability wise -, but I probably
will switch to git for new machines. On the other hand, it does not
really matter.

Thanks,
--
Martin