:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
On 13/12 22:22, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Sunday 13 December 2020 at 21:42:50, Simon Hobson wrote:
>
> > Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
> > > I had to solve it by assigning new names to the interfaces (thus not eth0
> > > or eth1) and modifying all the config files mentioning those interface
> > > names (I found them with grep) to use the new names instead.
> >
> > Not for the OPs reason, but a long time ago I started to use "meaningful
> > names" like ethext, ethint, and so on. Making it clearer in config files
> > what each interface is.
>
> Ironically enough, that is precisely what I have done on my own routers, which
> have interfaces named "Internet", "Clients", "Phones", "PubServers" and
> "PriServers".
>
> I did that because by default they create VLAN interfaces called eth0.0,
> eth0.1, eth0.2 etc, and so I used the rename facility in
> /etc/network/interfaces to give them names which meant something to me.
>
> > I think removing the need to remember something is better than being good
> > at remembering it (which I'm not anyway !)
>
> I completely agree with that, however in this case (wanting eth0 to be on the
> motherboard and eth1/2 to be the PCI card), is close enough to "familiar" for
> me not to get confused about it (once I get the machine to agree on the
> names).

One option could be to ensure tg3 is loaded before r8196 by mentioning
them in that order in /etc/modules (or maybe it needs to be in
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules). The tg3 would claim eth0 and r8196
would claim eth1 and eth2 (which probably would name its ports
consistently in the desired order).

Then yo don't even need that 70-.. udev file, which you did need for
jessie so as to counteract its "predictable names" mangling.

Ralph.