:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> I had to solve it by assigning new names to the interfaces (thus not eth0 or
> eth1) and modifying all the config files mentioning those interface names (I
> found them with grep) to use the new names instead.

Not for the OPs reason, but a long time ago I started to use "meaningful names" like ethext, ethint, and so on. Making it clearer in config files what each interface is. On one box (router) I had a fair number of interfaces (I can recall at least 8 inc 3 PPP (VDSL2) networks) - made remembering what's what a heck of a lot easier. Also did the same thing with my Xen guests - gave the interfaces on the host meaningful names via the guest config files.

I think removing the need to remember something is better than being good at remembering it (which I'm not anyway !)

Simon