:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
On Sunday 13 December 2020 at 21:13:10, dng@??? wrote:

> It looks like systemd again is responsible for this mess.

That is unexpected for me, since I am starting from a clean installation of
Devuan Beowulf - no upgrade, no crossover from Debian - just a totally new
install of Devuan (which I'm expecting to be ohne/sans/without systemd in any
form).

> From what I understand uses eudev the same files as systemd with udev. If so
> you should do
>
> ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules

I guess I can try that, however you should be aware that when I started this
exercise (from the aforementioned fresh installation of Devuan Beowulf), the
directory /etc/udev/rules.d (a) existed and (b) was empty.

> to make sure (e)udev does not mess with the network devices. (/etc/udev
> seems to have priority above /lib/udev)

I can only say that searching /lib/udev revealed (a) nothing specific to my
network devices, and (b) no files more recent than January 1st 2020, on a
machine installed in December 2020, therefore I don't think there is anything
in there contributing to my problem.

> After that it is somewhat unclear to me. Or
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules should work again. Or you
> should add a 70-net-name-slot.rules with the syntax of
> 80-net-name-slot.rules like
>
> SUBSYSTEM!="net", GOTO="net_setup_link_end"
> IMPORT{builtin}="path_id"
> ACTION!="add", GOTO="net_setup_link_end"
> IMPORT{builtin}="net_setup_link"
>
> NAME=="eth0", ENV{ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD}!="",
> NAME="$env{ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD}" NAME=="eth0", ENV{ID_NET_NAME_SLOT}!="",
> NAME="$env{ID_NET_NAME_SLOT}" NAME=="eth0", ENV{ID_NET_NAME_PATH}!="",
> NAME="$env{ID_NET_NAME_PATH}"
>
> LABEL="net_setup_link_end"

I'll give that go tomorrow (or perhaps Tuesday; tomorrow looks like a busy
work day for me).

> After adding net.ifnames=0 and biosdevname=0 your system should work as
> intended but I do not have the time to test it, hopes it helps in the
> right direction.

I shall report back.

Antony.

--
“If code doesn’t receive constant love, it turns to shit.”

- Brad Fitzpatrick, Google engineer

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.