:: [devuan-dev] bug#528: bug#528: pyth…
Author: wirelessduck
To: Mark Hindley
CC: Gerard H. Pille, 528
Subject: [devuan-dev] bug#528: bug#528: python3-reportbug: fails to install due to syntax error

> On 6 Dec 2020, at 04:02, Mark Hindley <mark@???> wrote:
>
> Gerard,
>
>> On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 02:34:21PM +0100, Gerard H. Pille wrote:
>> Mark Hindley wrote:
>>> Does /usr/bin/python exist? Which package does it belong to? Is it a symlink,
>>> and if so, what to?
>> ghp-amdphIIx4a:/root
>> # ls -al /usr/bin/python
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 24 jan 2017 /usr/bin/python -> python2.7
>> According to the date, this is not my doing. System was installed a year
>> ago on a disk that hadn't seen Linux before.
>
> Does it belong to any installed package? 'dpkg -S /usr/bin/python' should tell
> you.
>
> Even with a /usr/bin/python -> python2 symlink I am unable to get the postinst
> to fail as it does in your case. Somehow you appear to have a python2 interpreter
> which is trying to compile python3 code. I can't see how that could happen.
>
> Can you check your python3 versions? I get:
>
> $ python3 -V
> Python 3.9.1rc1
>
> Any extraneous symlinks in /usr/local/bin or elsewhere in the $PATH?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark

Mark,

Another possibility is that f-strings weren’t introduced to python until version 3.6 while ascii only has version 3.5. Maybe python3-reportbug is trying to run a script somewhere before the system has upgraded the python3 interpreter?

I also noticed that the python3-reportbug package in chimaera doesn’t have a version restriction for >python3.6 so it’s possible to upgrade that package without upgrading the main python3 package which could lead to this problem.

Tom