:: [devuan-dev] bug#528: python3-repor…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: Gerard H. Pille
CC: 528
Subject: [devuan-dev] bug#528: python3-reportbug: fails to install due to syntax error
Control: tags -1 invalid
Control: close -1

On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 08:05:34PM +0100, Gerard H. Pille wrote:
> # dpkg -S $(which python)
> python-minimal: /usr/bin/python
>
> # python3 -V
> Python 3.8.6
>
> # python2 -V
> Python 2.7.18
>
> # python -V
> Python 2.7.18
>

> Currently, an "apt-get reinstall python3-reportbug" succeeds.

Good!

> So, somewhere in the upgrade from ascii to chimaera, python3-reportbug was
> installed while python2 was still used. Caused by skipping Beowulf?

Ah, yes. That is definitely *not* supported. You are not supposed to miss out a
release[1] for exactly this sort of reason. Python versions and packaging are
quite fragile and you can end up with mismatches. For example, python-minimal
doesn't exist in chimaera at all.

I can't reproduce your behaviour on a correctly installed ceres or chimaera
system, so I am going to tag it invalid an close.

Please feel free to reopen if you really think there is a reportbug issue.

Thanks

Mark

[1] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/542459/upgrade-debian-jessie-8-to-buster-10-possible-or-need-to-go-sequential-in-ve