:: Re: [DNG] Beowulf: 32bit or 64 bit?
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Beowulf: 32bit or 64 bit?
On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 09:35:18AM -0700, Fred wrote:
> Hi,
> Crossgrading looks like a huge can of worms. The wiki page seems to imply
> that systemd must be installed. If I wanted systemd I would have stayed on
> Debian.

To the contrary: systemd makes crossgrading impossible, if it's running.

It will crash halfway during the process, possibly making recovery "fun".

That paragraph explains some workarounds, which need 1. manually upgrading
libsystemd0, and 2. running from a liveCD.

On the other hand, sysvinit and openrc can handle this fine -- like any
normal Unix program, they open their binaries at startup, and rely on the
filesystem keeping the underlying files when they're unlinked.

In other words:
Sysvinit can be updated online.
Systemd need to be shut down, and the system booted in a way that doesn't
start that instance of systemd (liveCD, conversion done from initrd, a
different init).

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Imagine there are bandits in your house, your kid is bleeding out,