:: Re: [DNG] Beowulf: 32bit or 64 bit?
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Beowulf: 32bit or 64 bit?
On 11/25/20 7:12 PM, wirelessduck--- via Dng wrote:

>> On 26 Nov 2020, at 13:02, Gregory Nowak <greg@???> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 05:34:16PM -0700, Fred wrote:
>>> I think Debian Jessie is 32 bit.  To upgrade to Beowulf I just followed
>>> instructions that didn't say anything about 32 or 64.  I just assumed
>>> Beowulf was 64 bit.
>>
>> Debian jessie was available in i386 and amd64 as far as I recall.
>>

>>> My CPU appears to be able to do 64 so how do I change over?
>>
>> Probably the easiest way is to do a fresh 64 bit install of
>> Beowulf. There might be a way to do a migration through dpkg
>> --add-architecture, but I'm not sure about that.
>>
>> Greg
>
> The debian wiki has an article on doing this transition.
> https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading <https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading>
>
> It also mentions a new package debian-crossgrading from google summer of
> code 2020 that appears to automate some of this.
> https://salsa.debian.org/crossgrading-team/debian-crossgrading
> <https://salsa.debian.org/crossgrading-team/debian-crossgrading>

Hi,
Crossgrading looks like a huge can of worms. The wiki page seems to
imply that systemd must be installed. If I wanted systemd I would have
stayed on Debian.

I installed arch-test which says i386. I am sure an AMD cpu will run
x86 instructions but I don't see how a x86/i386 cpu will run the
instructions that AMD presumably added.

fred@ragnok:~$ lscpu
Architecture:        i686
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
This seems to say I can run 64 bit software.

Is the i386 version of Devuan only 32bit? Else how is 64 bit installed
instead? If you want 64 bit you have to install the AMD64 version which
means I have to change the MB to one that has an AMD cpu?

Who took the lid off this can of worms?
Best regards,
Fred