:: Re: [DNG] No Sound in XFCE Beowulf …
Author: Marc Shapiro
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] No Sound in XFCE Beowulf - Pulsaudio

On 10/31/20 10:30 AM, kdibble wrote:

> ---- On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 08:34:30 -0700 *Michael K. <michael@???>*
> wrote ----
>
>     *establishing connetion to pulsaudio, please wait ....*

>     (a fresh installed Beowulf wth XFCE has no Sound. )

>     There was a hint once before on the list to edit "something" in a
>     Pulsaudio file. But I can't find this info anymore.

>     What do I have to do to get back in contact with the sound mixer?

>     Thanks in advance

>     Michael

> I cannot remember either.
> So
> I checked my configuration and the only
> file changed is in /etc/pulse/client.conf.d/
>
> which has 00-disable-autospawn.conf
>
> the contents of which are
>
>  On linux systems, disable autospawn by default
> # If you are not using systemd, comment out this line
> # autospawn=n
>
> I am sure someone with definitive knowledge will come along, refresh
> my memory and help you.
>
> Ken

It may have been a response to one of my posts that you are
remembering.  Back on September 25 I posted that I had "(Almost) no
sound under Beowulf" and viverna posted a reply suggesting the need for
a .asound file.  In the end, I did not need this file. Although
pulseaudio was installed, it was, for whatever reason, not starting for
all users.  I added a line to start pulseaudio in each user's .bashrc
file and that fixed the problem on their next login.  YMMV.

Marc