:: Re: [DNG] [OT] YouTube archivism ta…
Author: Marc Shapiro
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Downloading from ewetube; was Re: [OT] YouTube archivism targeted
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] YouTube archivism targeted
Sorry, spiralofhope.  I didn't6 mean to send this to you, but to the list.

On 10/26/20 11:47 AM, spiralofhope wrote:
> TL;DR: YouTube-dl DMCA
>

> ----
>

> The RIAA successfully applied a DMCA takedown to GitHub (Microsoft) for
> an archivism program which downloads YouTube video/audio (although it
> does target other services).
>
> https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/
> https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2020/10/2020-10-23-RIAA.md
>
> I expect that YouTube will obfuscate the way it delivers content so
> as to make the existing youtube-dl release (and other similar software)
> nonfunctional (perhaps only for a time).

I think they have already obfuscated things.

I used to use the Video Download Helper plugin for Firefox, but that
stopped working for me.  Then I installed youtube-dl and tried to use it
about a week ago, but received the following:

[youtube] sgN7fUGPgMM: Downloading webpage
[youtube] sgN7fUGPgMM: Downloading video info webpage
ERROR: sgN7fUGPgMM: YouTube said: Invalid parameters.

I tried downloading it from the yt-dl.org page, but that version gave me
the save results.  I use it to watch karate kata when I don't have
internet connectivity, but it looks like that is no longer possible.