:: Re: [DNG] ..devuan to the rescue? E…
Author: DECbot
To: Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..devuan to the rescue? Easiest possible newbie email server setup, ideas?

On September 24, 2020 5:52:20 AM Mark Rousell <mark.rousell@???>
wrote:
> On 23/09/2020 02:32, DECbot wrote:
>> Since my ISP is the devil and blocks port 25, I'm using autossh to forward
>> port 25 traffic to a $5/month vps.
> Do you have difficulty with your outgoing SMTP being blocked (often
> silently swallowed, from what I've seen) to certain large mail services
> using this approach? Many cheap VPS IP ranges have a very poor reputation
> with larger mail services such as Google, MS, Yahoo, etc.
>
> --
> Mark Rousell

I had to double check my config. I never got around to forward outgoing
mail through my ssh tunnel. I'm still using the postfix relayhost parameter
to granting me my ISP's blessing to smtp out to the rest of the world--and
likely giving them a copy of all my outgoing mail and association it to my
account. So my outgoing mail is not tied with my vps ip, but my residential
ISP's smtp server.

There's also a chance that my outgoing email volume is too low to have
noticed any difficulties besides things like my ISP making changes to smtp
authentication (now only supporting tls on port 587) without any
notification. This address is mostly for mailing lists and forums.

DECbot