:: Re: [DNG] ..devuan to the rescue? E…
Author: Marjorie Roome
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..devuan to the rescue? Easiest possible newbie email server setup, ideas?
On Thu, 2020-09-24 at 17:32 +0100, Mark Rousell wrote:
>     On 24/09/2020 13:43, Jim Jackson wrote:

> >       Mostly. Somemail servers do a reverse IP lookup and see if it
> > matches your envelope From domain.

>     Yes, this is an annoyance. There are two ways round this: (1)
>       Change your server's SMTP From domain to be the same as your
>       static IP's PTR hostname, and (2) ask your ISP to change the
>       reverse DNS to be the name of your mail server.
>     Option 1 is a bit embarrassing if anyone notices (e.g.
>       "host-46462.static.bugtown.myisp.net" isn't too cool as the
> name
>       of your mail server) but I don't see any technical downside,
>       although DMARC might perhaps be an issue nowadays.
>     I can confirm that I done option 2 in the past to good effect (on
>       Eclipse Internet in case anyone cares) but I've not tried to do
> it
>       more recently. I suspect that some ISPs might be a bit choosy
>       about this nowadays just in case you're a spammer.

Jim. It's not an annoyance. I think it's good practice.I also end up
rejecting a lot of spam because it lacks a reverse hostname (it's
easily the largest category).So it's not just a few such as ntlworld
and gmx that check this.
Option 2 works for me too. I'm with Zen Internet in the UK.
-- Marjorie