:: Re: [DNG] How to mount NTFS
Author: Rowland penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] How to mount NTFS
On 07/08/2020 16:46, Haines Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2020 at 03:58:40PM +0100, Rowland penny via Dng wrote:
>
>> Do you use the USB drive on Windows, if not, just reformat it to ext4,
>> ntfs-3g is a FUSE system, it isn't a fast as you would like.
> Thanks Roland. I left the drive NTFS because I wanted easy access
> to the drive for folks (granschildren) who do not run Linux.
>
> Othersie I prefer ext4. When you say NTFS is slower, to you mean three
> times slower (which I am experiencing) or a bit slower?
>
> When my mount command in script encounters an already mounted device
> formatted ext4 it complains but also proceeds. If the defive is
> formattted NTFS it complains but also and hangs. That is another
> reason to prefer ext4, but I wonder if the # mount -F would avoid the
> NTFS hang. That is, does NTFS mount exclusively by deault, while ext4
> does not?

It is extremely slow, but I am unsure just how slow, but 3-4 times
slower sounds about right.

If the drive is never plugged into a Windows machine, then there is no
point in it being formatted as NTFS. If your clients are connecting over
the wire via your Linux OS to the USB drive, then it doesn't matter what
it is formatted, but it would be better formatted with ext4 or another
Linux filesystem.

Rowland