:: Re: [DNG] Devuan 3.0 Orca Problem
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: David Hoff Jr, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan 3.0 Orca Problem
On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 07:04:25PM -0700, David Hoff Jr wrote:
> I have install Beowulf to a 32 bit Acer netbook using the text
> >installer with speech. I have speech in the text console but no speech
> >with Orca in the GUI desktop including the login screen. In the GUI
> >Desktop terminal I can bring up the Orca preferences with Orca -r -s
> >and find that in the second tab page there is nothing in the Voice
> >type, Speech System or Speech synthasizer boxes.
> >

> >Any suggestions how to fix this. I do have other sounds, just no
> >speech from Orca.

You need to make the following configuration changes:

1. in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf there is a line which reads:

#xserver-share=false

Uncomment it to read:

xserver-share=false

This is documented in bugs 432 and 493. The necessary change is
already made to the lightdm package in proposed-updates, and will be
part of devuan 3.1 when that happens.

2. Add user lightdm to the audio group. This is documented in bug 494
and will happen in devuan unstable eventually. Keep an ear on it
here:

<https://bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=494>

3. In /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf find the line which says:

# AudioOutputMethod "pulseaudio"

and change it to say:

AudioOutputMethod "libao"

I will be filing a bug on this soon. Fixing this will require forking
and maintaining the speech-dispatcher package from debian with the
above change in speechd.conf. This isn't something I can take on right
now. If someone else would like to, that would be good.

The easiest way to bring these changes in to effect would be to reboot
your system. You should have speech at this point at the login screen,
and in the graphical console. If you don't, let us know, and we can
try to figure out why. You didn't specify which graphical desktop you
installed, so I'm assuming mate, which is the most accessible. If you
went with xfce, changes 1 and 2 above won't help you since slim not
lightdm is the login manager.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net