:: Re: [DNG] Deleted qemu image
Author: fraser kendall
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Deleted qemu image
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 11:35:20 +0100
fraser kendall <lfs.mailing@???> wrote:

Many, many thanks to everyone for their invaluable posts. The image
has been restored and is now running on two identical machines. I'll
post below for the record, but wanted to put my thanks at the top of
the list. The file was retrieved and restored on the critical machine
without any loss of service or uptime; the rescue process was seamless.
So, thanks to everyone for these most excellent advices. Again and
again.
> I have just done the stupidest thing. I was freeing up (rm -rf) space
> on what I thought was a storage directory (/srv), but I have now just
> discovered that it contained a critical qemu image. The image is a W7
> VM and is still running; it appears unaffected. The /srv partition
> is the largest on this machine and the testdisk recovery image of this
> partition (~170G) is too large to fit anywhere on the hard drive.

[cut]
> Best option: 1) can I retrieve the deleted qcow image from a running
> instance of that image?

Yes.
1)    open root terminals: a,b,c,d
    a) # find /proc | grep w7
        note pid of deleted file and keep terminal open for
reference
and    b) # tail -c +0 -f /proc/[pid]/fd/xxx > /srv/qemu-w7-tailed
        (keeps second instance of file in /proc)
and    c) # rsync -a /proc/[pid]/fd/xxx  /srv/qemu-w7-rsync
and/or    d) # cp /proc/[pid]/fd/xxx /srv/qemu-w7-cp

2)    copy the 'tailed; image to an appropriate second machine
    copy the original qemu-system commands for the deleted image
and issue them for the 'tailed' image on the second machine
    confirm that the 'tailed' image is a working clone of the
original
    when *completely* satisfied it is working as expected

3)    close the original instance on the first machine
        (Point of no return!)
    issue the same qemu-system commands for the 'tailed' image on
the first machine and confirm it is a working clone of the original
    When fully satisfied all is in order, the clone on the second
machine can be closed and archived as a backup
    the rsync and cp versions are redundant

> Fall back option: 2) does anyone know if a new installation of the
> (Dell) W7 iso will still activate now that W7 is EOL?

No. It won't even install. The installation arrests after windows
files are unpacked: qemu enters a terminal 'pause'.

> I know that option 2 (writing to disk) will reduce the possibility of
> a testdisk recovery. So, here's Q3: can i squeeze the second W7 VM
> into a 6G qcow image (remaining free space in /home)?

No. the cloned image is 23G.

Many thanks again

fraser