:: Re: [DNG] Deleted qemu image
Author: Ludovic Bellière
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Deleted qemu image
There is a tool called debugfs, with it you can get a list of deleted
files `lsdel', and use the information to restore them with `undel'.

Although lsdel is no longer useful, I'm pretty sure the tool may help
you recreate a link to the existing inodes. I'd recommend reading the
man page.

Excerpt from the man page:

  undel <inode_number> [pathname]
         Undelete the specified inode number (which must be surrounded
         by angle brackets) so that it and its blocks are marked in
         use, and optionally link the recovered inode to the specified
         pathname.  The e2fsck command should always be run after using
         the undel command to recover deleted files.

         Note that if you are recovering a large number of deleted
         files, linking the inode to a directory may require the
         directory to be expanded, which could allocate a block that
         had been used by one of the yet-to-be-undeleted files.  So it
         is safer to undelete all of the inodes without specifying a
         destination pathname, and then in a separate pass, use the
         debugfs link command to link the inode to the destination
         pathname, or use e2fsck to check the filesystem and link all
         of the recovered inodes to the lost+found directory.