:: [DNG] Problem with DHCP during boot
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Problem with DHCP during boot
I've got a VM running Devuan Beowulf that was upgraded from Debian Wheezy (via Devuan Ascii). The problem I have is that it keeps getting different IP addresses during boot, never the one the DHCP server is configured (reserved lease) to give it. On tracing packets, I see that it's using a different DUID value during boot than it uses if I manually take the interface down and back up (ifdown eth0;ifup eth0 when the system is running). Also, during boot I see the message "Configuring network interfaces...ifup: interface eth0 already configured".

This suggests to me that something is bringing up the interface early during boot, using a different or non-existant DHCP Client config. I suspect non-existant since the address leased changes every boot which suggests a different DUID. I just can't see what/where the interface is being brought up .