:: Re: [DNG] Merged usr consequences […
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Merged usr consequences [Was: Upgrade problem]
On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 21:01:14 -0700
Ian Zimmerman <itz@???> wrote:

> So maybe the real question is, in the merged world, do you have a
> reason to insist on /usr being a mount point, other than tradition?

Me personally? No. But there are a million different users and admins
with a million different priorities, so I can see where some of them
might mount /usr.

Just speaking for myself, my root partition is an SSD, and it contains
/usr and /lib etc. The stuff I mount is /home and some other data
directories. This works out extremely well for me, giving me lightning
fast /usr combined with huge data partitions.

But I've talked to people who wanted their /etc to be an nfs mount, and
they gave me a pretty good reason.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist