:: Re: [DNG] Merged usr consequences […
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Merged usr consequences [Was: Upgrade problem]
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 08:41:31 -0700
Ian Zimmerman <itz@???> wrote:

> On 2020-07-07 11:26, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > Void Linux also symlinks all the various *bin directories together,
> > even though it's a runit distro. My objection is this merge forces
> > you to have an initramfs.
>
> This doesn't sound right, can you explain why you need an initramfs
> with merged /usr if you didn't need it before?
>
> I have a vague recollection of discussing this topic long before,
> maybe with you; sorry if so.

You need certain executables, pre-mount, before a separate /usr can be
mounted. These went in /sbin, which is on the root and always
available. If you could mount the root partition, you could proceed.

But now, if you mount /usr somewhere off the root, and simply have
/sbin symlink to it, those executables aren't available right away.
Imagine if you need the mount executable to mount /usr, but the mount
executable *is* on /usr. Buried shovel. The only way around it is to do
the mounts in initramfs.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist