:: Re: [DNG] GNU Shepherd user service…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] GNU Shepherd user services
On Fri, Jul 03, 2020 at 02:02:55PM +0200, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I came across recently on GNU Shepherd user services:
>
> `The GNU Daemon Shepherd or GNU Shepherd, formerly known as GNU dmd, is a
> service manager that looks after the herd of system services. It provides a
> replacement for the service-managing capabilities of SysV-init (or any other
> init) with a both powerful and beautiful dependency-based system with a
> convenient interface.` [1]
>
> As an initial introduction, I took a look, among other things, at the pages at
> the links that I report below.
>
> Also to help me better understand what it is (my knowledge of service-managing
> is at user level, and therefore not very thorough), I would be interested in
> reading your comments and considerations.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Best regards

Very interesting.

I've always had a soft spot for Lisp, and especially its offspring
Scheme. And this uses Guile, an implementation of Scheme.

I wonder if GNU Shepherd needs to run as PID 1?
Or can it run as a service manager under another init system?
Or even under another service manager?

-- hendrik