:: Re: [DNG] Felker Init: was without-…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Felker Init: was without-systemd.org not working
Le 16/05/2020 à 11:30, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Fri, 15 May 2020 14:44:06 -1000
> Joel Roth via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>

>> Reminds me to revisit https://ewontfix.com/14/
>> for Felker's Broken by Design article on systemd.
> That web page changed my life. When I saw, on that page, how simple PID1
> could really be, that was when I really started to despise systemd.

    I just re-read this nice document, thanks for reminding it.

    It is very intresting because it immediately raises a question:
what if pid2 (called rc here) crashes? It isn't respawned by pid1.

    rc, as the supervisor of all other daemons, is essential to
maintain the state of the system. I can think of four options when it
crashes:

1) respawn it, but then, why wouldn't it crash again immediately?

2) reboot, but this may have the same effect as opton 1 if the cause of
the crash persists.

3) stop the system, but why wouldn't it produce the same effect as the
two options above at next boot.

4) do nothing and let the admin investigate. But at least there should
be a possibility for the admin to log in on the console, which means
spawning and re-spawning getty or sulogin.

    Therefore, as it has been said already, I'm for keeping the current
sysv-init (but not sysv-rc) as is, instead of reducing it to the
minimalistic example of Rich Felker, despite my respect and admiration
for him.

    Didier