:: [DNG] Device naming: was Felker Ini…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Device naming: was Felker Init: was without-systemd.org not working
On Sat, 16 May 2020 11:40:03 -0700
Rick Moen via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> [1] E.g., I remain unconvinced I need a half-dozen different ways to
> refer to a device node.

If you're referring to the ethernet device being eno1 or enWhichUSB22
instead of eth0, or wxbd3 or wl21Poettering423 instead of wlan0, I
prefer the new way. Here's why:

A very short shellscript, using the ip command multiple times,
positively identifies the one and only wifi device on a computer, no
matter where it's plugged in. I use that shellscript in all my runit
run scripts, so I no longer need to specify a device name at all. On
computers with multiple wifi devices, an additional piece of info is
necessary. My shellscript's about 6 lines long, and adding a few more
lines would make it accurate regardless of which naming convention is
used.

I put that shellscript on the DNG mailing list a year or two ago.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist