:: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get…
Author: Merlijn Wajer
To: Pavel Machek, Ivaylo Dimitrov
CC: Tony Lindgren, sre, nekit1000, mpartap, martin_rysavy, maemo-leste, Arthur D.
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get make phones... phone (for Motorola Droid 4)
Hi,

On 13/05/2020 09:41, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
>>> I'd like to be able to work with SMSes with more than one client at
>>> the time. E-mail can somehow do it.
>>>
>>> For contacts, I keep them in tree-like structure in emacs org, and
>>> usualy keep very little details for each contact. Order is important
>>>

>> I think that way we're going to lose one of the very strong points of maemo
>> contacts - the aggregation of contact and presence, unless I am missing
>> something.
>
> I must admit I'm not heavy user of IM, so I don't care much about
> presence.
>
> I'm pretty sure presence does not require putting contacts data into an
> SQL database (and thus into binary blob), but if it is compatible with
> nice, easy-to-edit text file is different question...

Currently, as far as I know, all phones using ofono use telepathy to
handle and store incoming and outgoing SMSes (might be wrong, but I
think this is also what Sailfish does, what Maemo used to do, although
it didn't use ofono).

So that would conflict with an extra module in ofono that just logs
SMSes on it's own. It already has an interface to deliver SMSes over:
dbus. I am not sure if you'll be able to get upstream to accept an
interface to store SMSes.

Nothing is stopping you from writing a simple tool to interface with
ofono over dbus and store the messages you receive in mbox format, and
do the same for sending.

I am going to look at this soon in more detail, but I think Maemo Leste
would use telepathy and this tool to log all communication and events:
https://github.com/maemo-leste/rtcom-eventlogger

I imagine it should not be so hard to write simple sync tools, but it
sounds to me like you should be able to completely ignore telepathy and
talk to ofono over dbus directly, as uniscy_demo does.

Cheers,
Merlijn