:: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get…
Author: Pavel Machek
To: Merlijn Wajer
CC: Tony Lindgren, sre, nekit1000, mpartap, martin_rysavy, maemo-leste, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Arthur D.
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get make phones... phone (for Motorola Droid 4)
Hi!

> >> but I'd really like to see different design, one that treats SMSes as
> >> emails (not like instant messages), so I could read them using mutt and
> >> use imap protocol to access them remotely. I'd like to store my
> >> contacts in plain text (version controlled in git), not in binary
> >> databases.
>
> How would you access them remotely? Would you push them somewhere using
> imap sync?

That, or imapd and offlineimap, or imapd and mutt, or ssh an mutt on
the phone...

> osso-abook and/or telepathy database formats should be pretty open /
> simple, so it might not be very hard to write tooling to synchronise
> both ways - for contacts (db <-> plain text + git) and for sms <->
> maildir.

I'm not saying osso-abook / telepathy is an disaster... but I don't
believe it fits well with rest of the "Unix" system and believe we can do
better. Two way synchronization is fairly hard, and I could not get it
to work, neither on Android nor on Maemo...

I'd like to be able to work with SMSes with more than one client at
the time. E-mail can somehow do it.

For contacts, I keep them in tree-like structure in emacs org, and
usualy keep very little details for each contact. Order is important

* Family
* Horse people
** Zernovka stables
Tonda Aron -- 800123456

I don't think that is reasonable to import into database and expect it
to survive export :-).

Best regards,
                                Pavel