:: Re: [DNG] Arctic Fox name
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Arctic Fox name
Quoting Hendrik Boom (hendrik@???):

> On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 03:59:27PM +0200, Riccardo Mottola via Dng wrote:
> >
> > interesting. I drop a line for ArcticFox then, since I am currently its
> > main contributor.
>
> I hope there's no danger of a name conflict, but "Arctic Fox" was
> the name of a video game sometime around 1980.

In case it's what you're worried about, trademarks have scope only
within a specific trade or industry. Anyone who still is a valid legal
stakeholder for the name of a 1980s video game would have no power in
trademark law to suppress use of that name for, say, a Web browser over
trademark infringement, even if the mark is used in commerce. (Use of a
mark non-commercially is never infringement.)

(At the risk of going further out into the weeds, at least in USA
trademark law, there is a separate protection available since 1995 only
to the most famous trademarks, like Coca-Cola, under what is called
'trademark dilution' theory, where _any_ third-party commercial use is
deemed likely to confuse the trademark stakeholder's customers, and so
can be enjoined.)

More than you probably want to know about this subject, here:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/trademark-law.html