:: Re: [DNG] Is anybody using Discord …
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] tox (was: Re: Is anybody using Discord for virtual get-togethers in Devuan?)
Subject: Re: [DNG] Is anybody using Discord for virtual get-togethers in Devuan?
Anno domini 2020 Mon, 23 Mar 23:00:57 +0100
Florian Zieboll scripsit:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 16:58:58 +0100
> "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <dr.klepp@???> wrote:
>
> > Anno domini 2020 Mon, 23 Mar 15:14:15 +0100
> > Florian Zieboll scripsit:
> >
> > > May I ask for your tangible opinion
> > > on / experience with qtox resp. the tox protocol in general?
> >
> > Hi Florian!
> >
> > No irony intended :) I use tox myself for basicly anything that
> > otherwise would be done face2face. The thing I especially like is
> > that you do not have to create an account on a centralized server.
> > Just create an ID, send it do somebody, accept his/her invitation and
> > that's it. I've made a small script that fires up qTox when I plug in
> > my usb headset :)
> >
> > @protocol: well, it works. Is it secure? Kind of, did no analysis of
> > it. Compared to mumble (which I had running 3 years ago) it's fine
> > with low bandwidth (chat and audio, video is another thing), I can
> > publish a screen or a defined region as video source (which is great
> > for teaching), and there are no offline messages (email is for
> > offline).
> >
> > Nik
>

> Hallo Nik,
>
> thank you very much for your feedback! I just had started testing it
> (with qtox for Linux and trifa for Android) but felt somewhat unsure if
> I'd want to "spread the word" due to the quite negative connotation of
> the German Wikipedia article [1], and an LWN.net article [2] about some
> trouble within the core developing team.

Well, LWN article was 5 years ago (2 years after start of project), so that's like trojan war news :)
And wikipedia .. well, it' wikipedia, isn't it?

Nik