:: Re: [DNG] Is anybody using Discord …
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Is anybody using Discord for virtual get-togethers in Devuan?
Anno domini 2020 Mon, 23 Mar 15:14:15 +0100
Florian Zieboll scripsit:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 08:57:32 +0100
> "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <dr.klepp@???> wrote:
>
> > Anno domini 2020 Sat, 21 Mar 02:08:45 -0400
> > Steve Litt scripsit:
> >
> > > I need audio, video, and the ability to show what's on my screen.
> >
> > Use qtox, it's in the repository.
>

> Hallo Nikolaus,
>
> the lack of a leading "I" in your statement ("I use...") makes it sound
> like hidden irony - which (I think) is not a good idea to make use of
> on a public list. May I ask for your tangible opinion on / experience
> with qtox resp. the tox protocol in general?

Hi Florian!

No irony intended :) I use tox myself for basicly anything that otherwise would be done face2face. The thing I especially like is that you do not have to create an account on a centralized server. Just create an ID, send it do somebody, accept his/her invitation and that's it. I've made a small script that fires up qTox when I plug in my usb headset :)

@protocol: well, it works. Is it secure? Kind of, did no analysis of it. Compared to mumble (which I had running 3 years ago) it's fine with low bandwidth (chat and audio, video is another thing), I can publish a screen or a defined region as video source (which is great for teaching), and there are no offline messages (email is for offline).

Nik