:: Re: [DNG] Is anybody using Discord …
Author: onefang
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] discord is spyware
Subject: Re: [DNG] Is anybody using Discord for virtual get-togethers in Devuan?
On 2020-03-21 15:44:10, terryc wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 08:38:32 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
> > Is anybody using Discord in Devuan for virtual get-togethers?
>
> Yes, in the sense that I can join such for various groups like games,
> etc where someone else has paid for the server.
>
> Best I've managed is to follow the text chat and swap between
> discussion groups on "the server" and occasionally I manage to receive
> audio. but not send. Nor have I ever received a video feed, but I
> believe that requires a subscription
>
> I do not know whether this depends on having pulse audio, but I only use
> alsa.
>
> I do not particularly like Discord as it doesn't turn off/exi and I have
> to hunt down and kill the daemon and some of he severs tend to use
> pesterpost to continually send messages about "what you missed". Not my
> scene.
>
> Usenet & IRC serves me fine, when I want it.
>
> Although I was looking last night for linux based "conference/meeting
> software that I might be able to run to host free local
> discussions/"virtual meetings" for various local community groups shut
> down by Sars-cov2/covid-19 virus, but the few were all $$$$.

There are things like Jitsi (used by the Devuan developers), OpenSim
(used by me), or plain old Jabber / XMPP (also used by me) if you only
need text. Jitsi is a combination of video and text, though I think the
text bit is handled be the Prosody Jabber / XMPP server. OpenSim is a 3d
virtual world, I have worked for a company that offers business meeting
services using it and VR (I added the VR bit).