:: Re: [DNG] kernel instability 4.9.0-…
Author: tuxd3v
To: Riccardo Mottola
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] kernel instability 4.9.0-12 with latest update
Hello Riccardo,

>On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 12:19:52 +0100
>Riccardo Mottola via Dng <dng@???> >wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am using Devuan on an HP laptop with intel 64bit cpu. Everything
> worked very well, I did a lot of compilation and it is very stable,
> never had a freeze in months!
>
> [    0.100000] smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200  @ 2.00GHz
> (family: 0x6, model: 0xf, stepping: 0x6)
> [    0.100000] Performance Events: PEBS fmt0-, Core2 events, Intel PMU
> driver.
> [    0.100000] core: PEBS disabled due to CPU errata
>
> Yesterday I installed a kernel upgrade, bad things happened
>
> 1) after the first reboot with the new kernel, I get up to my desktop,
> check out sources ad start building Arctic Fox browser, come back after
> a time and find the machine completely frozen - no disk activity, no
> mouse possible, no errors. No response to power button pressed (had to
> press 5 seconds)
>
> 2) at reboot, machine freezes quite early in the boot process
>
> 3) I retry and it still freezes
>

> I tried selecting in GRUB the older kernel and it boots. It goes past
> the last error, starts file system check/journal replay and the machine
> seems stable again.
>

> This is the last good kernel version:
>
> 4.9.0-11-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.189-3+deb9u2 (2019-11-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> the unstable version must be the version 4.9.210-1 installed
>

> What could the issue be? I read about backports of spectre mitigations
> being possible issues.

* 'linux-image-4.9.0-12' - I believe , brings Meltdown, Spectre and such mitigation's with it, also fix's..
* 'linux-image-4.9.0-11' - Here , sometimes( firefox + youtube videos ), I also have freezes, but the machine ends rebooting..
                           Don't know why, never found the real reason for it..
                           If I don't go on youtube, everything works, so focus your self on your taks,
                           and don't be lazy( its what my computer tells me ) :D

For a better understanding of the changes, you can check:
~# zless /usr/share/doc/linux-image-$(uname -r)/changelog.Debian.gz

I am also in 'linux-image-4.9.0-11'..and I plan to be there for some time.. :)

Best Regards,
tux

--
Best Regards,