:: Re: [DNG] Which DE?
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Which DE?
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 15:23:18 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting golinux@??? (golinux@???):
>
> > Have you read the beowulf release notes?
>
> I'm a bit behind, sorry.
>
> > LXDE is available and quite functional with a few caveats.
>
> I'm sure it is. My comment is nonetheless a general truth.
> LXDE is effectively a several-years-dead project.

Your comment is a general truth but LXDE is a special case:

* It's subjectively a little more reliable and a lot easier to
configure and use than LXQt.

* LXDE is a very nice "gentle intro" into Openbox and LXQt.

* In the future, when LXDE either becomes unavailable or has security
problems, transition to LXQt is as easy as
http://troubleshooters.com/linux/quickhacks.htm#startxlxqt

The general truth is it's best to stop using deprecated software as
soon as there's a half decent alternative (which LXQt is). The
exception is that in this case, conversion at any time is so easy, it's
best to use the mature deprecated software until there's a real reason
to get rid of it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb