:: Re: [DNG] Which DE?
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Which DE?
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 16:56:36 +0100
al3xu5 / dotcommon <dotcommon@???> wrote:

> Someone asked why wanting to change MATE, the reason is the concern
> of being sooner or later "forced" to do so in case MATE evolves too
> much in directions that do not seem "appropriate" to me (systemd
> oriented deps, freedesktop / gnome3 "external" deps, wayland etc.) ...
>
> I have read the release notes for MATE 1.24 [1] and the roadmap [2]
> and some things seemed worrying to me:
> - they say "If your system doesn't, uh, support systemd [...]" uh ???
> why uh ???

[snip]

> The ideal for me would certainly be a pure openbox WM.

The preceding is what I use, although I add in dmenu and xbattmon.

> But at the
> moment it would take me too long to arrive at a satisfactory
> configuration such as usability and pleasantness, in addition to the
> effort to change many of my habits ...
>
> I think LXDE could be a good compromise for me, because it has
> openbox but it is faster to configure and more "close" in use for
> those who come from a different "ready-made" DM...

Not only that, but you can develop hotkeys and workflow on LXDE, and
carry them over to Openbox later. You can incorporate dmenu with
hotkey on LXDE, learn to use it, and then when it's time transfer that
knowledge and ability to Openbox.

> For now I am continuing to use MATE ... Soon I will do the upgrade
> ASCII -> Beowulf and then decide what to do...
>
> In the meantime, it would be useful for me to understand better if my
> concerns about MATE are sensible or are just some form of paranoia

Given the behavior of Linux-related software in the last 4 years, if
it's paranoia, it's justified paranoia. I don't know anything about
mate, but I can tell you I've seen a disturbing slide of my former
favorite, Xfce, to the dark side. If it's paranoia, I share your
paranoia.

Add in the fact that, regardless of other WM/DE's Freedesktop.Org
trifles and trinkets, Openbox plus dmenu plus xbattmon plus UMENU2 and
optionally plus fbpanel is an insanely productive environment for
anyone who is a competent (35wpm) touch-typist.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb