:: Re: [DNG] The real reason I like Li…
Author: spiralofhope
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] The real reason I like Linux
On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 22:59:28 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> For me, it's all about POSIX.

I immediately understood the UNIX philosophy when I first heard
of it; tiny, single-purpose programs which can be stitched together.

I agreed with it, but found all the tools incredibly complex mainly
because of shit documentation and poor examples. I don't (technically)
program, so I started writing all that as I went along.

I've grown tired over the years though, preferring the lazy user side of
things. I never really did proper programming, but it's very
fulfilling to script my own stuff.

For example, I don't need a GUI screenshot program when I can summon
this with an Openbox hotkey:

\sh  -c "\
  \urxvt  -title 'screenshot'  -geometry 120x50+0+0  -e \\
    \dialog  --no-shadow  --msgbox  'screenshot' 0 0 ;\\
    \scrot  --select  'screenshot--%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S--$wx$h.png'  --exec  '\mv  $f  /l/live/__ ; \gpicview /l/live/__/$f' \\
"

Oh, and since I'm on that and we have some Openbox people.. guess what
this does:

\sh  -c "\
  \geany \\
    $( \realpath  ~/.themes/minimal-spiralofhope/openbox-3/themerc ) \\
    $( \realpath  ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml ) ;\
  \waitpid  $! ;\
  \openbox  --reconfigure ;\
  \waitpid  $! ;\
  \xrefresh \\
"

The problem for me is how to share things so they're discoverable. I've
got a GitHub repository, but.. that's not exactly connected to search
engines (maybe one day to Bing?), especially since I don't really
describe every little script in a way that users could type in keywords
to discover.