:: Re: [DNG] FF now defaults to DNS-ov…
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] FF now defaults to DNS-over-HTTPS for US
On 2020-03-03 12:56, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Mar 2020 17:08:28 -0600
> golinux@??? wrote:
>
>> Just great! So how can we keep off this cloudflare thing?
>>
>> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/25/mozilla_turns_on_dns_over_https_by_default_for_usa/
>
> "Another relevant question is whether further centralisation [SIC] of
> the internet is, inherently, a bad thing."
>
> Yes, centralization of the Internet is a bad thing, completely contrary
> to the Internet's design and purpose. The Internet (formerly Arpanet)
> was designed by the Department of Defense to be widely distributed,
> with lots of redundancy, so that if the Soviet Union nuked the hosts in
> Philly, the hosts in Atlanta and Chicago and South Bend Indiana picked
> up the slack. The distributivity made the Internet indestructible. It
> also made it hard for a scoundrel to poison the DNS system or to get
> away with lying.
>
> Now we're starting to centralize. Facebook, controlled by one
> multi-billionaire, solicits and promotes political lies that might
> determine elections.
>
> The golden age of the Internet was the mid to late 1990's, when we all
> got online via the regulated telephone utility. Anyone with a Linux
> computer, a few modems, and a reasonable on-ramp to the Internet could
> set themselves up as an ISP, the controller of your last mile. And they
> did. So prices fell from $75/month in 1995 to $25/month by 1999. And if
> you didn't like your ISP, you probably had 50 other choices. So ISPs
> were reasonably priced and customer-focused: Competition at its best.
>
> In today's more centralized Internet, there are maybe twenty providers
> of last-mile service nationwide [1], and they've divided the map such
> that no more than two compete in most areas. Prices are up. One could
> argue that price per Mbs is way down, but in 20 years I'd hope so, and
> believe that with competition we'd be paying about $10/month for the
> same service. It's my belief that the wide distributivity of the
> original Internet was what allowed it to thrive to this point, and
> centralization is slowly choking it, putting it at risk, and making it
> less useful.

Exaaactly. The question is "less useful" for whom? Certainly not the
user. It is ultimately about control of information and populations in
order to empower and enrich those at the top of the economic food chain.

Truth are lies and lies are truth. Just keep buying more of what you
don't need to create debt which will enslave you for life. We own you.
Get over it and just keep clicking . . .

golinux