:: Re: [DNG] why is polkit needed? dro…
Author: Tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] why is polkit needed? dropin replacement

On 2/19/20 10:23 AM, tom wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 00:35:26 -0800
> tom <tom@???> wrote:
>
>> Deprecated gksudo? Well thats pretty dumb. Any particular reason
>> Devuan doesn't just fish around for the old gksudo git repo and
>> continue that instead of dealing with this policykit mess of
>> complexity? You can allow users in your a group for example
>> 'installers' to run synaptic by editing sudo's config like so:
>>
>> %installers ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/synaptic
>>
>> This Policykit stuff just seems like completely unneeded and unstable
>> cruft like systemd or pulseaudio.
>>
>> Thank you for clarifying though. I'm going to see about getting it
>> working on Gentoo since I have more experience with ebuilds than I do
>> with Debian packaging currently.
>>

> Just found a drop-in replacement for gksudo. It's called lxqt-sudo.
> https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt-sudo
> It works pretty well.

Hi,

this one is nice! but it solves only partially the problem
of eventually removing policykit because most packages
like for example synaptic or network-manager have a
dependency on polkit or on libpolkit-gobject-1.
Replacing pkexec could be easily done with a wrapper
calling lxqt-sudo, but I cannot imagine what
debian packaging voodoo would be needed to
remove polkit, but for sure a lot of work.
It is hard to weed out over-complexity once
it slipped in.

Ciao,
Tito