:: Re: [DNG] Clean install of ascii: /…
Author: al3xu5 / dotcommon
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Clean install of ascii: / is huge ~ 40gb
13/02/2020 19:33:27 +1100
Ralph Ronnquist <ralph.ronnquist@???>:

> Traversing / directly like that is not a good idea. Rather do:
>
> # mount -obind / /mnt
> # du -sh /mnt/*
>
> so that you traverse the root file system without traversing all special
> mounts (/proc, /sys etc)
>
> Thenn you'll do
> # umount /mnt

Indeed...

On my updated 2.1 ASCII machine (with MATE desktop) and a lot of packages
installed, I have / with a total of about 9GB:

~~~
18M    /mnt/bin
29M    /mnt/boot
12K    /mnt/dev
13M    /mnt/etc
4,0K    /mnt/home
220M    /mnt/lib
5,0M    /mnt/lib32
4,0K    /mnt/lib64
5,6M    /mnt/libx32
16K    /mnt/lost+found
48K    /mnt/media
4,0K    /mnt/mnt
850M    /mnt/opt
4,0K    /mnt/proc
4,0K    /mnt/root
4,0K    /mnt/run
14M    /mnt/sbin
16K    /mnt/srv
4,0K    /mnt/sys
16K    /mnt/tmp
7,9G    /mnt/usr
392K    /mnt/var
(some special dirs omitted)
~~~

> > On 2020-02-13 03:26, Owen wrote:
> >>
> >> The / partition was set as 40gb to be safe but today an "apt-get upgrade"
> >> failed due to lack of space:
> >>
> >> I've increased / to 60gb but I was never expecting it to ever get past
> >> 10gb.

So, this is strange...

Maybe checking disk usage as above could help.

Regards

--
al3xu5

Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.
Public GPG/PGP key
ID:           4096 bit RSA key F94CFE23
Fingerprint:  59C6 9DC7 CD4B CF2F A190  E3DE 69C5 977B F94C FE23