:: Re: [DNG] Clean install of ascii: /…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Clean install of ascii: / is huge ~ 40gb
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 02:26:23 +0000
Owen <owen@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> looking to get away from systemd, I'm moving from Ubuntu to Devuan
> (ascii).
>
> The system was installed 10 days ago, all went well and updates and
> additional pgograms installed well unyil today . . .
>
> The / partition was set as 40gb to be safe but today an "apt-get
> upgrade" failed due to lack of space:
>
> I've increased / to 60gb but I was never expecting it to ever get
> past 10gb.
>
> root@nucdevuan:/# df -m
> Filesystem               1M-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
> udev                          7947       0      7947   0% /dev
> tmpfs                         1594       1      1593   1% /run
> /dev/nvme0n1p4               60786   39295     18375  69% /
> tmpfs                            5       1         5   1% /run/lock
> tmpfs                         6464      93      6372   2% /run/shm
> /dev/nvme0n1p5               26617     554     24682   3% /home
> /dev/nvme0n1p2                2960     103      2688   4% /boot
> /dev/nvme0n1p1                 200       1       200   1% /boot/efi
> tmpfs                         7967       0      7967   0%
> /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs                         1594       1      1594
> 1% /run/user/1000

> "du -s" shows no huge files.
>
> "apt-get clean" and "apt-get autoclean" don't highlight anything to
> remove.
>
> Any ideas how I can reclaim 30gb of my disk space please?
>

> Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Owen,

I think maybe disk size snuck up on us while we weren't looking. I
seriously thought my OS (Void Linux in this case) was using 4GB, but in
response to your post measured:

[root@mydesk /]# du -h -s /usr
24G     /usr
[root@mydesk /]#

I have the usual suspects installed: Libreoffice, Vim, emacs, Firefox,
Chromium, Openbox, LXDE, and a whole bunch of smaller stuff I've
installed over the years.

I'd be very surprised if a server-only system with LXDE/Openbox got
past 10GB, but programs are apparently a lot bigger than they were six
years ago, when I was routinely installing in 5GB.

I don't know whether you have a laptop or a desktop, or whether your
root partition is on SSD or spinning rust, but either way, disk space
is getting pretty cheap. 1TB SSDs are under $100 now, so you could have
320GB for / and the rest for other stuff. With SSD it's important never
to get too close to filling the drive, or you start repeatedly writing
on a small subset of the SSD.

If you're using spinning rust, you could use 160GB for /, and probably
wouldn't need to enlarge it for a few years. You can get Western
Digital Blue 4TB for just over $100. You can get even more bang for
your buck if you go Seagate, but I don't do that.

Unless there's something I'm missing, I'd advise just being generous
with your root partition, assuming /usr is on the root partition.

By the way, for the past 5 years I've had great success with using a
256GB SSD as my root partition, and putting all my big data files on
mounted spinning rust. My programs from /usr/bin load lightning fast,
but all told I have over 3T.

[slitt@mydesk tsjustfacts]$ df -h /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1       220G   26G  183G  13% /
[slitt@mydesk tsjustfacts]$

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive