:: [devuan-dev] bug#373: bug#373: xfce…
Author: Tito
To: 373
Subject: [devuan-dev] bug#373: bug#373: xfce4-notifyd not started at xfce session login

On 1/31/20 3:28 PM, Mark Hindley wrote:
> Control: tags -1 debian
>
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 03:04:13PM +0100, Where all about bugs in Devuan packages is reported wrote:
>>> Do you think this is the same as Debian #899377
>>> (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=899377)
>>
>> Hi,
>> yes this looks the same due to plasma-desktop being installed
>> and if I recall correctly notifications were working before
>> installing it.
>>> Are there any message in /var/log/daemon.log relating to failed DBus activation
>>> start of xfce4-notifyd?
>>
>> Yes at the end: Jan 31 14:21:18 devuan dbus-daemon[4160]: [session uid=1002 pid=4158] Activated service 'org.freedesktop.Notifications' failed: Process org.freedesktop.Notifications exited with status 1
>> but with no hints about the reason of failure.
>
> Yes, this looks the same.
>
> I know there is no solution to the underlying cause in Debian's #899377 either.
>
>>> I also notice that you have plasma-workspace installed as does the reporter in
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=899377#32. He also provides a
>>> workaround.
>>
>> I did try other notification services: dunst and growl that did work, but they do not integrate well
>> with xfce's notification settings.
>>
>> Removing /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.plasma.Notifications.service don't seem a viable option to me.
>>
>> I cannot believe that this dbus services are started alphabetically without checking if they belong
>> to the current DE...
>
> Can you modify /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.plasma.Notifications.service
> to check if kde is running?
>
>> Other solutions I can think off:
>>
>> 1) use a system wide notification daemon for all DE's, rather complicated needs work to integrate well.
>> 2) start the daemons in /etc/xdg/autostart where they can be selected correctly with
>>     NotShowIn=GNOME;KDE;Unity;MATE; etc.
>>     this is a minor change that could be attempted even at devuan level to ensure that different DE's
>>     installed play along nice.

> I really doubt we can or would implement this in Devuan. The issue is that these
> are not forked packages. We use them directly from Debian. We have no control
> over them.
>
> I think your best course of action is to add your voice to #899377 and push for
> a resolution there.
>
> Sorry not to be able to be more helpful.
>
> Mark

Hi,
just for the record, adding this file:

________________Cut here_______________________________
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.9.4
Type=Application
Name=xfce4-notifyd
Comment=Xfce4 Notification Daemon
Exec=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false
GenericName=Xfce4 Notification Daemon

in /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-notifyd.desktop

fixes it for me and does not break KDE.
Even if run with systemd this cannot harm
because the daemon exits if another instance
is running.

$ /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd
Another notification daemon is running, exiting

Tito