:: Re: [DNG] Beowulf repository weirdn…
Author: onefang
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Beowulf repository weirdness or broken?
On 2020-01-21 20:13:01, Mike Tubby wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have two identical machines at work ("post" and "newmail") both running
> Beowulf and both with the same /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> root@post:/etc/apt# cat sources.list
> deb http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf main
> deb-src http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf main
>
> deb http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security main
> deb-src http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security main
>
> deb http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-updates main
> deb-src http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-updates main
> root@post:/etc/apt#

Using country codes is deprecated, please use deb.devuan.org.
gb.deb.devuan.org returns a CNAME of deb.devuan.org, so that should work.

> Running "apt-get update" on post works as expected:
>
> root@post:/etc/apt# apt-get update
> Get:1 http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf InRelease [25.6 kB]
> Get:2 http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security InRelease [25.6 kB]
> Get:3 http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-updates InRelease [25.6 kB]
> Get:4 http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf/main Sources [7,816 kB]
> Get:5 http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf/main amd64 Packages [8,036 kB]
> Get:6 http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security/main Sources [97.6
> kB]
> Get:7 http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security/main amd64 Packages
> [173 kB]
> Fetched 16.2 MB in 6s (2,935 kB/s)
> Reading package lists... Done
> root@post:/etc/apt#
>
> Running "apt-get update" on newmail gives:
>
> root@newmail:/etc/apt# apt-get update
> Ign:1 https://search.stinpriza.org/merged beowulf InRelease
> Ign:2 https://search.stinpriza.org/merged beowulf-security InRelease
> Ign:3 https://search.stinpriza.org/merged beowulf-updates InRelease
> Err:4 https://search.stinpriza.org/merged beowulf Release
>   404  NOT FOUND [IP: 2a01:4f8:162:7293::14 443]
> Err:5 https://search.stinpriza.org/merged beowulf-security Release
>   404  NOT FOUND [IP: 2a01:4f8:162:7293::14 443]
> Err:6 https://search.stinpriza.org/merged beowulf-updates Release
>   404  NOT FOUND [IP: 2a01:4f8:162:7293::14 443]
> Reading package lists... Done
> E: The repository 'http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf Release' no
> longer has a Release file.
> N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore
> disabled by default.
> N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration
> details.
> E: The repository 'http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security Release'
> no longer has a Release file.
> N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore
> disabled by default.
> N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration
> details.
> E: The repository 'http://gb.deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-updates Release'
> no longer has a Release file.
> N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore
> disabled by default.
> N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration
> details.
> root@newmail:/etc/apt#
>

> Have I got a DNS caching problem somewhere or is there a broken repo?

The stinpriza mirror's domain name is mirror.stinpriza.org, the IP is
correct though. I don't know how you ended up with search.stinpriza.org,
perhaps it's in one of your sources files? It's likely that
search.stinpriza.org doesn't actually point to a Devuan mirror.

mirror.stinpriza.org is one of the better mirrors according to my mirror
checker, it rarely fails.

Usually it's best to stick with deb.devuan.org though.